Saturday, November 08, 2008

Good old guessing game -- answer included

It's been a long time since I spiced up Cuisine Quotidienne with a guessing game.

A few of the ones I have run have been a little too simple for your clever minds and eyes, but this one might stump a few.

One comment -- it didn't turn out to be quite what I had meant it to be.

Update: I've already received quite a few guesses on this one, and spacedlaw hit the nail on the head; it's a flan au potiron, or a pumpkin flan.

I'm not sure if spaced had a savoury or sweet version in mind, but this one was not a dessert!

I had meant to make a clafouti au potiron, which is one of my daughter's favorite supper dishes. But somehow I forgot the flour, which gives the clafouti a thicker consistency than a flan.

The lesson learned: both are delicious.

This is one of my improvised recipes, but find any savoury clafouti recipe and replace the main ingredient by chunks of steamed pumpking. Then forget the flour if you want a flan!

13 comments:

bricogirl said...

Looks like this. What a fun game! Thanks. I'll be back to find out.

The Beaver said...

Is this a flan? with apricots

Dedene said...

looks like gratin de pommes de terre ou peut-être du potiron?

Loulou said...

A Spanish Tortilla?

Betty C. said...

So far some are kind of close, but nobody has really hit the mark yet.

Sally Crawford from London said...

'tis a quiche mixture, n'est ce pas?

without the pastry . . . innovative :))

PS: I love food so will be returning.

Sally Crawford from London said...

Oh, but PS it might be rice pudding (as in childhood rice pudding) baked in the oven. Ooooomiyum!

spacedlaw said...

Flan au potiron?
It lloks quite nice whatever it is...

eleonora said...

A deux avec mon compagnon en voyant la photo, nous dirions une quiche lorraine ou un gratin de pommes de terre...

christina said...

A fritatta à la Français?

Betty C. said...

Well, spacedlaw wins the prize. It was indeed a (savoury) flan au potiron.

I will update the post to tell the story of the dish.

spacedlaw said...

I would never have thought about making a pumpkin clafouti. Excellent idea as I have to eat at my desk all month (for NaNo writing) and am already looking for alternatives to my cucumber sandwiches...

Jann said...

Oh, I knew what this was right away! It looks so good ! Dish me iup some!