Monday, October 13, 2008

A few of my favorite things: foie gras

I am such a sucker for foie gras. I buy it more than is reasonable. I know how to make a mean terrine. And, when I go out to eat, I have a hard time passing it up -- even though I often think I should try something more original.

My most recent foie gras binge was at a tiny hotel restaurant, called Le Vieux Four, in a non-descript village that does carry an original name: Les Quatre Routes du Lot.

My daughter, a friend and I had a lovely Sunday lunch there -- talk about off the beaten track! Despite its rather unlikely location, the restaurant was full, perhaps bucking the trend I reported on a few weeks ago...

9 comments:

croquecamille said...

Me, too! I developed a taste for it when I was working in a restaurant and got to nibble on scraps of terrine almost every night. I also have a very hard time passing it up when I see it on restaurant menus.

milly said...

I LOVE FOIE GRAS!!!!! That looks delicious. Thanks for sharing

tut-tut said...

I have never had foie gras, but I have had a darn good chicken liver pate.

Rowena said...

Hi Betty,
You got my number on foie gras. Whenever hubby and I holiday in France, that delicacy is always number #3 on the list (with cheese and baguettes holding the #1 and 2 spots). #4, I'd say, is a tie between snails and desserts. French wine is not on the list because I refuse to put a number to something that is so essential to a fine meal. ;-)

Betty C. said...

Oh, tut-tut, you haven't lived!

gail said...

oh foie is soo absurdly divine! It is a hard addiction to kick, but one that I'm not exactly trying to squeeze out....just not sure how to eat anything else with the same enthusiasm...not possible :)

FlavoursofItaly said...

What a great blog, keep up the work!

spacedlaw said...

I love it too! But I try to stay away as much as I can, due to the high fat content.
Making it yourself is dead easy, the only delicate part being the cleaning. And in Italy, finding the raw material...

eleonora said...

Oh un petit foie gras bien sympa....j'adore Betty...